8 ERRORS in Bringing Change to Your Church
Posted on May 19, 2020 7:00 AM by Mark Snowden
Each of the eight errors listed here is associated with eight phases that have the potential to help your church realize change:
1. Establish a sense of urgency.
2. Create a guiding coalition.
3. Develop a vision and strategy.
4. Communicate the change vision.
5. Empower a lot of people to take action.
6. Generate short-term wins.
7. Consolidate wins and make even more wins.
8. Institutionalize changes in the church culture.
Steps 1-4 have the potential to thaw the status quo. Steps 5-8 are new practices.
Where are the errors? Leaders too quickly skip Steps 1-4. And most leaders don’t stick with the sequence. A solid base quickly deteriorates and gets left behind. Momentum never gets going enough to overcome inertia and the effort fizzles out.
However, settle down and work these eight phases WELL and you’ll enjoy lasting change.
--Mark Snowden serves CABA as Director of Associational Leadership. This blog was adapted from John P. Kotter, Leading Change, Harvard Business Press, 2012, pp. 22-27